Friday, August 03, 2007

Since February 2000, I have been online in the form of a website called BlackandChristian.com. When I first came online, there were very few websites that had any information on Black folk, let alone much for Christian Black folk. Through the years, I've been criticized by both Black and White folk who wanted to know why I felt the need to "separate the body of Christ". Usually, I ignored the emails and phone calls, occasionally I would try and engage the individual and explain that there is nothing wrong with acknowledging one's Blackness AND Christianess. Some emailers asked how I would feel if they created a website, called White and Christian? I wanted to say there already is and its called the KKK but I didn't. My thought, particularly in 2000 was that yes, there were a few Christian websites--created by white folk with no content or information about anything that spoke to the African American Religious Experience--no Black Churches, no Black preachers--maybe on a good day one could find a picture or comment about T.D. Jakes. No sermons by Black preachers, no articles from Black theologians and scholars. The world wide web was, back then, pretty devoid of color.

There were a few new sites that were started at or near the time we did but they focused on gospel music. I wanted to create a place where the Black Pulpit, the Black folk in the Pews and the Black scholars of religion could co-exist on the world wide web.

While we have existed mainly without benefit of publicity, we have gained a following and The Black Church section and my articles on the Black Baptist Church in particular are consistently being viewed, printed, and emailed.

It is wonderful to see what has happened on the web these past seven years (well most of what has happened). There are some concerns. But as with everything in this fast moving world, the Internet opened up new opportunities and thousands of new voices are being added everyday. Black folk are on the world wide web, many blogging up a storm.

I created this blog two years ago, 2005 and it has sat here unused by me all of this time. Well, not anymore. BlackandChristian.com is stepping out, once again, on faith. What you will find here is information you may not always find on BAC--but you will still find timely articles, sermons and links to information and inspiration--online all the time at BlackandChristian.com!

No comments: